I mentioned on Thursday the importance of using makeup for longevity when working with brides and thought I would elaborate by sharing some tips on getting makeup to last.
Preparation is key
By prepping the skin correctly you can increase the life of your makeup application and keep your bride happy all day.
- Give moisturiser time to be absorbed into the skin so you have a good canvas to work from and your makeup wont slide off.
- Using a good primer will prep the skin for foundation and should increase the longevity of your makeup.
- An eye primer will not only give your eyeshadow more staying power and stop creasing but the shadow should appear brighter and true to the colour in the pot as well.
Setting the makeup
Setting the makeup with a good translucent powder that doesn't change the texture or colour of your foundation is probably the most important step to extent the life of your makeup application.
When applying foundation and powder don't cake makeup on or think you need more coverage because the makeup has to last. A light application will last longer and look more fresh throughout the day. Using a powder puff with some loose translucent powder, press and roll the puff to set the makeup and reduce shine paying attention to the t-zone. Dust off any excess with a powder brush.
Long lasting lip colour
There are several techniques for getting the most out of your lip colour so here are a few you can try.
- Use a clear lip liner to create a barrier to stop lip colour from bleeding.
- Try filling in the lips with a matching lip pencil before applying lipstick to extend the wear.
- Apply lipstick, blot and reapply to give the lip colour more staying power.
- Use a lip stain to colour the lips and add a coat of lip gloss over the top to add shine.
You don't want a teary moment to ruin the makeup for the rest of the day so make sure the products you use around the eyes are not going to budge with a few tears. Carry a good waterproof mascara and switch kohl pencil for gel, cream and waterproof liquid liners.
I hope you found these tips useful as they not only apply to bridal makeup but any makeup job that requires the makeup to last for long periods of time.
If you have any secrets for getting makeup to stay put share them with us in the comments section.