Wednesday 17 December 2008

About What The Pros Do

Hi, I'm Alex and welcome to my blog What The Pros Do.

What The Pros Do is a compilation of useful tips, advice and reviews I have picked up on my journey to becoming a makeup artist. I have started WTPD to not only share with you the trials and tribulations of pursuing a career in makeup but to pay forward the advice and lessons I pick up on the way.

Without many of the online resources I have found over the years I probably wouldn’t be where I am today in my career. You would not believe how many bookmarks I have stored and the hours I have clocked up online researching the industry which is where What The Pros Do comes in. I hope that this will grow into a useful resource collating all types of information in one place for beauty junkies and other artists, in particular the newbie’s out there.

In the spring of 2007 I decided to follow my passion for makeup and left my job working in Operations at the Hugo Boss London office for a more creative role in the fashion industry and went back to school. A year and half on, where this blog starts, I am toting my portfolio round town and starting my career as a freelance makeup artist in London.

Just like every working artist my portfolio is a constant work in progress so you will hopefully watch me grow through this blog as an artist and see me take on bigger and better challenges as a freelancer. Below is a small selection of my work.

I don’t claim to be an authority on all things beauty so feel free to join in, post comments, share your opinions and ask questions on the blog.

If your not sure exactly what a blog is find out more here at ProBlogger


12 comments:

  1. Love your blog, I would really love to do a show at london fashion week it looks so good, hard work but a fantastic oportunity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks James! It was such an amazing experience I cant wait till next season to do it all again :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Found your pics on Louise O'Shea's website, I used to do test shoots with her back in 2005!! What a small world!!

    Kit x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am starting to realise that everyone knows someone, who knows someone in this biz, its definitely a small world! lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea for a blog. Have you got an agent yet? I ran my TAIL off doing test shots and trying to connect with photographers, magazine editors, etc. when I first started out. And then I got an agent (at first, I was simply an assistant makeup artist to the agent's famous makeup artist, but it was a foot in the door). Everything changed once he signed me as a real live makeup artist. My months of networking seemed so crazy compared to my agent picking up the phone and calling Elle to say he was going to messenger my book over! Nice.

    Good luck to you, however you choose to do it. I admire that you quit your job to pursue your passion. Go, girl!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the advice and words of encouragment Makeup Theory.

    I am currently assisting an artist with a big agency so hopefully having a foot in the door early on will lead to me being signed as an artist with them at some point in the future when Im ready for even bigger and better things! Glad to hear Im on the right track :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have a beautiful blog, Alex. I'm visiting from Problogger's challenge and think that if you just pruned your sidebar "about" a tad that it's a fine tag line. I start to lose interest when compilation is the first word. "Tips, advice, and reviews from my journey to become a make-up artist" would grab me faster.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Beth, Thanks for the feedback, I really appreciate your input.

    Why is it you can never see the answer when its starring you in the face! I think "Tips, advice and reviews from my journey to become a makeup artist" would make a great tag line.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The best advice ever, thanks 100 times from Paris.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This blog has been an amazing resource for me. Thanks so much. I hope you start posting again at some point. I hope your having a blast, spreading beauty across the land!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your blog is great! I'm an newbe in makeup but working hard in my city ) I can not call myself a pro because I haven't learned makeup in any school but I'm learning so hard from such places as your blog! It has a lot of useful info! Hope you will start posting soon!

    ReplyDelete