Monday 5 January 2009

Tried and Tested: Maybelline Colossal Volume Express Mascara

I have been a fan of Maybelline's Volum' Express mascara for several years now as I love that it makes my lashes look thicker and fuller but I have been bowled over by Maybelline's latest edition, The Colossal Volum' Express Mascara.

My first encounter with this mascara was whilst shopping for munchies with a friend who bought it on an impulse.

With just a couple of strokes her lashes look a.m.a.z.i.n.g and seemed to double in length. She doesn't wear that much makeup in the day so I thought perhaps it wasn't all down to the mascara and that maybe she just had fabulous long lashes I hadn't noticed before....

Fast forward to Jan and I actually got my hands on some and I am really, really impressed. Every mascara says 'no clumps' on the tube but that's not always strictly true in practice. I can actually confirm there were no clumps and after wearing all day it didn't flake either. This mascara added length to my lashes and looked incredibly light and natural on close inspection.

I tend to think its the brush that makes all the difference to the look of the lashes after application which is why I don't carry high end brands in my kit. I was surprised then to find that even when using a disposable wand to apply to one eye you couldn't tell the difference between the lashes I used the Maybelline brush on.

At only £4.84 at Boots right now don't take my word for it try it for yourself and let me know what you think!

What Maybelline say....
  • Creates 9X the volume, instantly.
  • Patented MegaBrush + Collagen Formula plump lashes one by one
  • Dramatic Volume with no clumps
  • Washable

For Best Results Sweep brush upwards from root to tip to plump individual
lashes and achieve dramatic volume. Continue building lashes until you reach
your desired look. Do not let dry between coats. Repeat for lower lash line.
Removes easily with soap and water or Maybelline® New York Expert Eyes® Eye
Makeup Remover Towelettes.

Looking forward to hearing you thoughts. Leave me a comment below...

Picture Source: maybelline.com

11 comments:

  1. good to know! i'll definatly add this to my kit.

    i also don't use high end brands in my kit because of the whole disposable wand thing, so it's good to know that it performs well without having to use the wand.

    thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know I was really please with the results even with the dispoisble wand.

    Id be interested to hear what you think once you've given it a whirl so make sure to come back and let me know if you agree with my rave review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds fantastic... I need to get a new mascara for my kit this week, so at less than a fiver I think I'll give this a go :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Let me know what you think Sian!

    ReplyDelete
  5. went out and got it last night and used it today, and i LOVE it! The huge wand is perfection and layer after layer i never got any clumps. Thanks for turning me onto a new product.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad you loved it and that I could be a help! I never believe the 'no clumps' claim but it is actually true with this new formula :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the tip! I'll try it next time I need something new for my kit!

    ReplyDelete
  8. No problem Jes! Come back and tell me what you think when you get a chance to give it a try :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'll be honest I didn't like this mascara at all. I know that there has been rosw water added & its suppose to mimick Dior's mascara but this didn't do anything for me. It seemed more like a conditioning mascara than anything else. Glad you liked it though! Great blog:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. My lashes seemed to double in length with just one coat so its really interesting that it didnt perform for you Beauty Parler.

    It has a distinct smell that I couldnt put my finger on but now im sure its the rose water so thanks for clearing that up for me! :)

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. i heard that it smelled strongly and i had no idea they added rose water for this smell evryone won't shut up about! i need mascara and imma try this after research and seeing MOSTLY rave reviews...thanks for the review!!

    ReplyDelete